Neurologic SIG Strategic Plan
Purpose of the Neurology Physical Therapy SIG:
To create community and provide opportunities for networking, collaboration, and continuing education amongst PTs and PTAs with a common interest in Neurology Physical Therapy. The SIG will create a network of neurologic therapists to support advocacy efforts, share resources, and promote evidence-based practice in the state of Maine. The SIG will align with and support the initiatives of the Maine APTA and the APTA Academy of Neurologic Physical Therapy.
To support current PTs and PTAs in the state of Maine to provide excellent and evidence-based clinical care to clients with neurologic conditions and injuries as well as to support the professional development of new PT and PTA graduates in this specific patient population.
Short-range (12-to-18 months)
- Develop continuing educational opportunities starting with a journal club (every other month).
- Provide written commentaries specific to the practice of neurologic physical therapy in the Maine Chapter Newsletter (quarterly).
- Under the legislative/payment & policy committee's direction, participate in legislative efforts related to PT practice (i.e., direct access, durable medical equipment, prostheses).
- Establish yearly elections for leadership positions within the SIG.
Mid-range (2-to-3 years)
- Develop mentorship programs for PTs and PTAs within the Chapter.
- Develop resources and continuing education to support practicing clinicians in Maine
- Free to members of the Neurologic Therapy SIG and Maine State Chapter members (non-members of the SIG)
- Fee for non-members of the Maine State Chapter
- Develop resources for medical practitioners in the local communities
- Present at the Maine Brain Injury Association’s annual conference
- Present at the Maine Public Health Association’s annual conference
Long-range (5+ years)
- In conjunction with the continuing education committee, develop educational platforms for Maine APTA’s annual conference
- Establish a liaison between the Neurology SIG and APTA
- Promote research and scholarship efforts in the field of Neurologic Physical Therapy in the state of Maine