Maine Pediatric Physical Therapy Special Interest Group (Peds SIG)
Elizabeth Cyr, PT, DHSc(c), DPT
APTA Board Certified Clinical Specialist, Pediatric Physical Therapist
Assistant Clinical Professor, University of New England
Maine State Advocacy Liaison, Academy of Pediatric Physical Therapy
Purpose of the Pediatric Physical Therapy (PT) Special Interest Group (SIG):
To create community, collaboration, and learning opportunities for pediatric PTs and PTAs in the state of Maine. The SIG will create a network of pediatric therapists to support advocacy efforts, share resources, and promote evidence based practice. The SIG will align with and support the initiatives of the Maine APTA and the APTA Academy of Pediatric PT.
Short Range Goals (12-to-24 months)
- Develop and promote continuing education opportunities starting with quarterly meetings which may include guest speakers, journal clubs, and discussion groups, for example.
- Provide written communications specific to the practice of pediatric physical therapy (quarterly in the Chapter’s newsletter).
- Under the direction of the legislative/payment & policy committee, participate in legislative efforts related to PT practice.
- Establish yearly elections for leadership positions within the SIG.
Mid to Long Range Goals (2-to-5 years)
- Develop leadership opportunities for Pediatric PT SIG members within the local and national APTA chapters.
- In conjunction with the continuing education committee, develop educational platforms for the annual Chapter conferences.
- Organize mentorship efforts to support clinicians seeking pediatric speciality certification in the state.
- Promote research and scholarship opportunities in the field of pediatric physical therapy.
For any questions related to the Maine Pediatric PT SIG, please reach out to email@example.com.